Note: TTW= The Teacher Will; TSW= The Students Will; GCR= Google Classroom
I. Standard(s): 6.62 Analyze the fall of the Western Roman Empire, including difficulty governing its large territory, political corruption, economic instability, and attacks
by Germanic tribes, and identify the continuation of the Eastern Roman Empire as the Byzantine Empire.
A. Clear Target: I can explain the division of the Roman empire into East and West, and identify the establishment of Constantinople as the capital by Constantine
B. Bell Ringer: What caused Constantine to become a Christian?
1. Review: After the class has answered the question to the best of their ability, TTW assess if there needs to be a review of the previous day’s lesson. If a review is needed, TTW have the students get out their notes and will review the material with them.
2. If no review is needed TTW have the students get ready for today’s lesson.
C. Set: TTW lead a discussion on the clear target and or bell ringer to ensure that the students understand it/them. TTW lead a discussion on the assignment from the day before to ensure understanding in applicable.
D. Presentation of New Material: TSW go through a Nearpod presentation on the fall of Rome. TSW follow along with the presentation answer the Open Ended Questions in the Nearpod, and their lecture questions from D. 3. below. Here is the link: The Fall of Rome Nearpod
3. Lecture Questions:
a. Lesson 13, The Fall of Rome Questions:
- What was disrupting Roman trade?
- Why were Roman farms producing less?
- Roman Legions were increasingly filled with ___________ that were loyal to _________ or _________ and not Rome.
- Diocletian tried to reform Roman society. What did he do to try and lower inflation? What did he do to make Rome more manageable to rule over?
- Who was Attila the Hun?
- What impact did Attila the Hun’s attacks on the Roman Empire have on the Western Roman Empire?
- Why did the Eastern Roman Empire flourish?
- What city helped the Eastern Empire flourish and how?
a ,Lesson 14, The Rise of the Byzantine empire Questions:
- Who was the first emperor of the Byzantine Empire?
- What did Constantine do to end the persecution of Christians?
- After Constantine reunited the Eastern and Western Roman Empires into one, what did he do?
- Why was Constantinople the most important city in the Byzantine Empire?
- What were the geographical advantages of Constantinople?
- What made it possible for Constantinople to be a center of trade?
E. Guided Practice: TTW show the students how to get to the day’s presentation of new material and independent practice; and explain what they are doing to complete the day’s lesson. TTW then choose a student at random to perform the same tasks. Write a law…question and answer to get the writing started
F. Independent Practice (The assignments are due the next school day unless otherwise stated):
1. TSW write and answer the questions in section “D3. Presentation of New Material.” on their own paper and add it to their note packets.
2. TSW complete the Nearpod open ended questions.
3. TSW complete the Nearpod Constantinople travel brochure on Nearpod slide number 14. TSW use the drawing tools, text tool, and insert picture tool at the bottom of the blank brochure page on Nearpod slide number 14 to create their brochure.
G. Closure: TSW be able to answer the following question(s) in the next day’s class discussion: What caused Constantine to become a Christian?