Note: TTW= The Teacher Will; TSW= The Students Will; GCR= Google Classroom
I. Standard(s): 6.62
A. Clear Target: Clear Target: Clear Target: I can analyze the fall of Western Rome and the reasons for its fall; and identify the continuation of the Roman Empire as the Byzantine Empire
B. Bell Ringer:
1. TSW be able to answer the question below based on the previous lesson’s clear target in order to provide Closure for the previous day’s lesson:
a. Previous Day’s Lesson’s Closure Question(s): What was Constantine’s impact on Christianity?
1. Review: After the class has answered the question to the best of their ability, TTW assess if there needs to be a review of the previous day’s lesson. If a review is needed, TTW have the students get out their notes and will review the material with them.
2. If no review is needed TTW have the students get ready for today’s lesson.
C. Set: TTW lead a discussion on the clear target and or bell ringer to ensure that the students understand it/them. TTW lead a discussion on the assignment from the day before to ensure understanding in applicable.
D. Presentation of New Material: TSW go through a presentation on the fall of Rome for lesson 13. TSW follow along with the presentation and answer their lecture questions from D. 3. below. Here is the link: The Fall of Rome
3. Lecture Questions:
- What were the three main reasons that Roman empire fell?
- How did 22 emperors in 50 years help lead to political confusion?
- Why would the lack of new slaves hurt the Roman economy?
- Why did food prices go up?
- What caused inflation in Rome?
- Why did the Roman government hire Germanic tribes to fight for them, and how did that affect Rome?
- What made the Eastern part of the Roman empire stronger than the Western part?
E. Guided Practice: TTW show the students how to get to the day’s presentation of new material and independent practice; and explain what they are doing to complete the day’s lesson. TTW then choose a student at random to perform the same tasks. Write a law…question and answer to get the writing started
F. Independent Practice (The assignments are due the next school day unless otherwise stated):
1. TSW complete their notes using the presentation in section “D. Presentation of New Material.”
2. What were the three main reasons that Western Rome fell? Explain how each reason led to the fall of Rome? Complete this in your notebook. Write one paragraph per reason with a minimum of 5 sentences in each paragraph.
G. Closure: TSW be able to answer the following question(s) in the next day’s class discussion: Why were the Germanic soldiers hired into the Roman army? How did Germanic Soldiers in the Roman Army impact Rome?
H. Assessment: Nearpod/CFUs/Discussion/Quiz