Note: TTW= The Teacher Will; TSW= The Students Will; GCR= Google Classroom
I. Standard(s): 6.62
A. Clear Target: I can explain the division of the Roman empire into East and West, and identify the establishment of Constantinople as the capital by Constantine
B. Bell Ringer:
1. TSW be able to answer the question below based on the previous lesson’s clear target in order to provide Closure for the previous day’s lesson:
a. Previous Day’s Lesson’s Closure Question(s): Why were the Germanic soldiers hired into the Roman army? How did Germanic Soldiers in the Roman Army impact Rome?
1. Review: After the class has answered the question to the best of their ability, TTW assess if there needs to be a review of the previous day’s lesson. If a review is needed, TTW have the students get out their notes and will review the material with them.
2. If no review is needed TTW have the students get ready for today’s lesson.
C. Set: TTW lead a discussion on the clear target and or bell ringer to ensure that the students understand it/them. TTW lead a discussion on the assignment from the day before to ensure understanding in applicable.
D. Presentation of New Material: TSW go through a presentation on the fall of Rome for lesson 13. TSW follow along with the presentation and answer their lecture questions from D. 3. below. Here is the link: The Fall of Rome
3. Lecture Questions:
- Who was the first emperor of the Byzantine Empire?
- What did Constantine do to end the persecution of Christians?
- After Constantine reunited the Eastern and Western Roman Empires into one, what did he do?
- Why was Constantinople the most important city in the Byzantine Empire?
- What were the geographical advantages of Constantinople?
- What made it possible for Constantinople to be a center of trade?
E. Guided Practice: TTW show the students how to get to the day’s presentation of new material and independent practice; and explain what they are doing to complete the day’s lesson. TTW then choose a student at random to perform the same tasks. Write a law…question and answer to get the writing started
F. Independent Practice (The assignments are due the next school day unless otherwise stated):
1. TSW complete their notes using the presentation in section “D. Presentation of New Material.”
2. There are two close reads in lesson 14. Answer all three of the close read questions in your notebooks.
G. Closure: TSW be able to answer the following question(s) in the next day’s class discussion: What caused Constantine to become a Christian?