Note: TTW= The Teacher Will; TSW= The Students Will; GCR= Google Classroom
I. Standard(s): 6.57: Analyze how innovations in engineering and architecture contributed to Roman expansion, including the role of: • Aqueducts • Arches • Bridges
6.58: Explain the polytheistic religion of ancient Rome, with respect to beliefs about the humanlike qualities of the deities and their importance in everyday life.
The Colosseum • Domes • Roads • Sanitation
A. Clear Target: I can analyze how the innovations in engineering and architecture contributed to Roman expansion and explain the polytheistic religion of ancient Rome.
B. Bell Ringer:
1. TSW be able to answer the question below based on the previous lesson’s clear target in order to provide Closure for the previous day’s lesson:
a. Previous Day’s Lesson’s Closure Question(s): What were the accomplishments of Rome during the Pax Romana?
1. Review: After the class has answered the question to the best of their ability, TTW assess if there needs to be a review of the previous day’s lesson. If a review is needed, TTW have the students get out their notes and will review the material with them.
2. If no review is needed TTW have the students get ready for today’s lesson.
C. Set: TTW lead a discussion on the clear target and or bell ringer to ensure that the students understand it/them. TTW lead a discussion on the assignment from the day before to ensure understanding in applicable.
D. Presentation of New Material: TSW review a presentation on Ancient Rome’s accomplishments and religion. TSW select the link below, and then open the presentation with Google Slides. Then TS will select “Slideshow” from the upper right hand corner of the screen so that they can use the video links. TSW follow along with the presentation by using their down arrows to advance the slides and their up arrow to go back and relook at a slide. TSW take notes on the presentation and the videos inside of the presentation. After they have completed the presentation, TSW answer their lecture questions in the packet. The lecture questions are also copied in D. 3. below in case the students lose their packet and need to handwrite the questions on their own paper to recreate it. Here is the link to the presentation.
NOTES: Make sure that TS open the presentation with Google Slides. Make sure that TS select “Slideshow” so that they can use the video links. The video links only work in “Slideshow” mode.
3. Lecture Questions:
- During the Pax Romana, Rome was at the height of its__________________ and______________?
- How was the economy during the Pax Romana? Why was the economy like this during the Pax Romana?
- The Roman roads were initially built for the military. What did the roads allow the military to do?
- What flourished on the Roman roads?
- Why did Octavian repair the Roman roads?
- How did Octavian repairing the Road bring about the benefits from question 5?
- What were the major architectural advances of Rome?
- What did the Romans use the aqueducts for?
- How did the roads and aqueducts help Rome expand?
- How did taxation contributed to the social and economic success of Rome?
- The Romans adopted much of their religion from what?
- What are the three main characteristics of the Roman religion?
- What did the Romans believe about their Gods?
E. Guided Practice: TTW show the students how to get to the day’s presentation of new material and independent practice; and explain what they are doing to complete the day’s lesson. TTW then choose a student at random to perform the same tasks. Write a law…question and answer to get the writing started
F. Independent Practice (The assignments are due the next school day unless otherwise stated):
1. TSW complete their notes packet using the presentation in section “D. Presentation of New Material.”
G. Closure: TSW be able to answer the following question(s) in the next day’s class discussion: What were the architectural and engineering innovations during the Roman expansion, and how were those feats able to aid expansion?
H. Assessment: Nearpod/CFUs/Discussion/Quiz