Note: TTW= The Teacher Will; TSW= The Students Will; GCR= Google Classroom
I. Standard(s): 6.33, 6.34, 6.35
A. Clear Target: I can demonstrate a general understanding of Daoism and Legalism in ancient China, and its impacts on the development of ancient China’s civilization.
B. Bell Ringer:
1. TSW be able to answer the question below based on the previous lesson’s clear target in order to provide Closure for the previous day’s lesson:
a. Previous Day’s Lesson’s Closure Question(s): What were the main concepts that Confucius taught?
b. Review: After the class has answered the question to the best of their ability, TTW assess if there needs to be a review of the previous day’s lesson. If a review is needed, TTW have the students get out their notes and will review the material with them.
c. If no review is needed TTW have the students get ready for today’s lesson.
2. TSW write the questions from Section D. Presentation of New Material, number 2. a-l in their notebooks and leave space under each question to answer it. This will be graded at the end of the lecture.
C. Set: TTW lead a discussion on the clear target and or bell ringer to ensure that the students understand it/them. TTW lead a discussion on the assignment from the day before to ensure understanding.
D. Presentation of New Material:
1. TSW complete their notes by writing down any underlined portions of the presentation. While the students are listening to the lecture, they will answer the questions that they wrote down in their notebooks for the bell ringer. The lecture questions are written below. The notes that the students are to write down are underlined in the presentation video. Here is the link to the video.
En español. TSW completa sus notas escribiendo las partes subrayadas de la presentación. Mientras los alumnos escuchan la conferencia, responderán las preguntas que anotaron en sus cuadernos para el timbre de la campana. Las preguntas de la conferencia están escritas a continuación. Los estudiantes pueden tomar notas durante la conferencia, pero deben obtener respuestas a las preguntas ya que serán calificadas después de la conferencia. Las notas que los estudiantes deben escribir están subrayadas en la presentación. Si no completan las notas durante la conferencia, deben ver el video y completar sus notas del video. Aquí está el enlace al video.
2. Lecture Questions: Write these questions in your notebook and leave space to answer them underneath each question. En español. Preguntas de la conferencia: Escriba estas preguntas en su cuaderno y deje espacio para responderlas debajo de cada pregunta.
- a. Who founded Daoism?
- b. How should people live their lives according to Daoism?
- c. What was the Dao?
- d. What was the book of Daoism called?
- e. Where did harmony come from in Daoism?
- f. What is the difference between Daoism and Confucianism?
- g. Who founded Legalism?
- h. What did leagalists believe about people?
- i. Why were rulers encouraged to rule harshly in leagalism?
- j. What was the legalism book called?
- k. Why did many nobles follow leagalism?
- l. What is the example that Mr. Haas gave showing how some laws benefited the state?
2. Video in Video N/A
3. Simulation: N/A
4. Checks For Understanding (CFU): Lecture Questions; Closure Question(s); quiz; Independent Practice
E. Guided Practice: TTW show the students how to get to the day’s presentation of new material and independent practice; and explain what they are doing to complete the day’s lesson. TTW then choose a student at random to perform the same tasks.
F. Independent Practice (The assignments are due the next school day unless otherwise stated): TSW complete their notes and their answers to the questions if not completed during the lecture.
G. Closure: TSW be able to answer the following question(s) in the next day’s class discussion: Tell me one thing about Legalism, Daoism, and Confucianism.
H. Assessment: Question and answer/Discussions/The guided practice