Note: TTW= The Teacher Will; TSW= The Students Will; GCR= Google Classroom
I. Standard(s): 6.53 Describe the Roman rule of law and the Twelve Tables
A. Clear Target: I can recall the rule of law from Unit 7, Ancient Greece and demonstrate an understanding of the Twelve Tables, their creation, and lasting effects.
B. Bell Ringer:
1. TSW be able to answer the question below based on the previous lesson’s clear target in order to provide Closure for the previous day’s lesson:
a. Previous Day’s Lesson’s Closure Question(s): What is a Republic? What are checks and balances in a governmental system?
1. Review: After the class has answered the question to the best of their ability, TTW assess if there needs to be a review of the previous day’s lesson. If a review is needed, TTW have the students get out their notes and will review the material with them.
2. If no review is needed TTW have the students get ready for today’s lesson.
b. TSW write down the questions for the day’s lecture in their notebooks
2. TSW write the questions from Section D. Presentation of New Material, number 3. a-? in their notebooks and leave space under each question to answer it. This will be graded by a quiz in a future lesson.
C. Set: TTW lead a discussion on the clear target and or bell ringer to ensure that the students understand it/them. TTW lead a discussion on the assignment from the day before to ensure understanding.
D. Presentation of New Material: TSW watch and listen to a video lecture and answer their key questions in their notes while going through the presentation. Here is a link to the video presentation on Ancient Rome’s Laws: Ancient Rome: The 12 Tables
1. TSW complete their notes by answering the questions in Section D. Presentation of New Material, number 3. They will do this while listening to the lecture/reviewing the presentation.
3. Lecture Questions:
a. What were the 12 Tables?
b. What were the three new approaches to laws started by the 12 Tables?
c. What is the system of the 12 similar to?
d. d. How did the 12 Tables’ precisely-worded written laws that were known by everyone help the people of Rome?
e. Did the 12 Tables improve or hurt life in Rome, and how?
f. What is a Decemviri?
g. What did the Decemviri do to get the 12 Tables written?
h. What group was responsible for forcing the Decemviri?
i. Why did the Decemviri that led to the 12 Tables occur?
j. Was the Decemviri that led to the 12 Tables important for Rome and Why?
k. What would you say the legacy, or lasting effects of the 12 Tables is?
E. Guided Practice: TTW show the students how to get to the day’s presentation of new material and independent practice; and explain what they are doing to complete the day’s lesson. TTW then choose a student at random to perform the same tasks. Write a law…question and answer to get the writing started
F. Independent Practice (The assignments are due the next school day unless otherwise stated):
1. TSW complete their notes.
2. TSW either write 12 laws similar to what they think that the Plebeians would have wanted (Cannot use any of the laws from the 12 tables) or they will write at least 2 paragraphs of 5 sentences each explaining the 12 Tables and how they came to exist.
G. Closure: TSW be able to answer the following question(s) in the next day’s class discussion: What is the legacy of the 12 Tables?
H. Assessment: Nearpod/CFUs/Discussion
- Question and answer/Discussions/The guided practice