Note: TTW= The Teacher Will; TSW= The Students Will; GCR= Google Classroom
I. Standard(s): 6.58 Explain the polytheistic religion of ancient Rome, with respect to beliefs about the humanlike qualities of the deities and their importance in everyday life.
6.60 Explain the expulsion of the Jews from their homeland by the Romans, which began the Jewish diaspora
A. Clear Target: I can explain the polytheistic religion of ancient Rome and the beginnings of the Jewish Diaspora.
B. Bell Ringer:
1. TSW be able to answer the question below based on the previous lesson’s clear target in order to provide Closure for the previous day’s lesson:
a. Previous Day’s Lesson’s Closure Question(s): What were the architectural and engineering innovations during the Roman expansion, and how were those feats able to aid expansion?
1. Review: After the class has answered the question to the best of their ability, TTW assess if there needs to be a review of the previous day’s lesson. If a review is needed, TTW have the students get out their notes and will review the material with them.
2. If no review is needed TTW have the students get ready for today’s lesson.
C. Set: TTW lead a discussion on the clear target and or bell ringer to ensure that the students understand it/them. TTW lead a discussion on the assignment from the day before to ensure understanding in applicable.
D. Presentation of New Material: TSW watch and listen to a video lecture on Ancient Rome’s religion and the diaspora. TSW follow along with the presentation and complete their guided notes. If TS lose their guided notes or are absent, the guided notes are listed in D. 3. below. Here is the link: Roman Religion and Diaspora
3. Lecture Questions:
- The Roman Gods and Goddesses were an important part of_______?
- In Rome at every meal there was always a ________?
- The Romans practiced religious tolerance. What is religious tolerance?
- When were the Romans not tolerant of other people’s religion?
- What group fought back against the Romans because of religion?
- What was the diaspora as explained in this lesson?
- What was Masada and why was it important to the Romans?
E. Guided Practice: TTW show the students how to get to the day’s presentation of new material and independent practice; and explain what they are doing to complete the day’s lesson. TTW then choose a student at random to perform the same tasks. Write a law…question and answer to get the writing started
F. Independent Practice (The assignments are due the next school day unless otherwise stated):
1. TSW complete their notes using the presentation in section “D. Presentation of New Material.”
2. Complete the worksheet. There is a reading attached to the worksheet that will help you answer the questions. TSW submit the worksheet through Google Classroom when completed. They will not email it or share it with the teacher or it will not be graded. Here is the link to the worksheet and reading.
G. Closure: TSW be able to answer the following question(s) in the next day’s class discussion: What was the impact of the Diaspora?
H. Assessment: Nearpod/CFUs/Discussion/Quiz