Note: TTW= The Teacher Will; TSW= The Students Will; GCR= Google Classroom
I. Standard(s): 6.38:Describe how the desire for Chinese goods influenced the creation of The Silk Road and initiated cultural diffusion throughout Eurasia, including the introduction of Buddhism into ancient China.
A. Clear Target: I can describe how the desire for Chinese goods influenced the creation of The Silk Road and initiated cultural diffusion throughout Eurasia, including the introduction of Buddhism into ancient China.
B. Set: TTW tell some jokes, or ask some riddles to the students in order to get their brains ready for learning. TTW play a video over forms of democracy as an interest cue.
C. Bell Ringer: What was the most significant accomplishment/invention of the Han Dynasty and why?
1. TTW review the clear target with the students ensuring understanding of the new terms (if any) and then lead a discussion on the bell ringer to ensure that the students understand the information in the lesson from the class prior.
a. Review: After the class has answered the question to the best of their ability, and the discussion is complete, TTW assess if there needs to be a review of the previous day’s lesson. If a review is needed, TTW have the students get out their notes and will review the material with them.
b. If no review is needed TTW have the students get ready for today’s lesson.
D. Presentation of New Material: TSW open the video and compete their guided notes and the pages of the packet that relate to lesson. Here is the link to the video: The Silk Road
1. Checks For Understanding (CFU):
2. Video in Video N/A
E. Guided Practice: TTW demonstrate for the students how to: Find and open the document; use the document; turn in the document when completed. TTW have a student share their screen and demonstrate all of the steps. TTW assist, and have the class assist the student demonstrator with answering the first question as needed. TTW also explain any activities in section F and get the students started on it by beginning the activity with them.
F. Independent Practice (The assignments are due the next school day):
1. TSW complete their guided notes
2. Complete the activities in the packet.
3. TSW Complete the DBQ: The Silk Road DBQ
4. Additional Videos: Ted Ed The Silk Road
–Questions: Write your name and these questions down on your own paper. Label the paper Then answer the questions, and turn the paper into the class basket.
1. What laid the foundation for a bridge (link, not a physical bridge) between China and the West?
2. What group that ruled China actively protected the trade routes of the Silk Road?
3. What religion spread to China via the Silk Road?
4. What led to the demise of the Silk Road?
G. Closure: Discuss the clear target and how it relates to the previous lesson. If time permits discuss the video from today’s lesson.
H. Assessment: Class Discussion; The assignments