Note: TTW= The Teacher Will; TSW= The Students Will; GCR= Google Classroom
I. Standard(s): 6.51
A. Clear Target: I can identify and locate the geographical features of ancient Rome, including: Constantinople, Italian Peninsula; Italian Alps; Mediterranean Sea; Rome, and the Tiber River.
B. Bell Ringer:
1. TSW be able to answer the question below based on the previous lesson’s clear target in order to provide Closure for the previous day’s lesson:
a. Previous Day’s Lesson’s Closure Question(s): What is one thing that you learned about ancient Greece?
b. Review: After the class has answered the question to the best of their ability, TTW assess if there needs to be a review of the previous day’s lesson. If a review is needed, TTW have the students get out their notes and will review the material with them.
c. If no review is needed TTW have the students get ready for today’s lesson.
2. TSW write the questions from Section D. Presentation of New Material, number 3. a-? in their notebooks and leave space under each question to answer it. This will be graded by a quiz in a future lesson.
C. Set: TTW lead a discussion on the clear target and or bell ringer to ensure that the students understand it/them. TTW lead a discussion on the assignment from the day before to ensure understanding.
D. Presentation of New Material: TSW listen to a lecture and answer their key questions in their notes while going through the presentation. Here is a link to the presentation on Ancient Rome’s Geography: Early Rome Geography
1. TSW complete their notes by writing down writing down and answering the questions in Section D. Presentation of New Material, number 3. They will do this while listening to the lecture/reviewing the presentation.
3. Lecture Questions:
a. Rome is located in the modern day country of Italy. What geographical feature is Italy located on?
b. Where is Rome located in Italy?
c. Where are the Alps located?
d. What benefit did Rome receive from the Alps?
e. What are the three benefits that Rome received from the Po and Tiber river valleys?
f. What allowed the Romans to trade?
g. What did the Romans do with the wealth they acquired from their trade?
E. Guided Practice: TTW show the students how to get to the day’s presentation of new material and independent practice; and explain what they are doing to complete the day’s lesson. TTW then choose a student at random to perform the same tasks.
F. Independent Practice (The assignments are due the next school day unless otherwise stated):
1. TSW complete their notes by writing down the questions in Section D. Presentation of New Material and then answering the questions.
2. TSW label the map of Ancient Rome. TSW label the map by moving the features to their correct locations. Notes: The land is white; everything does not have an arrow. Submit the assignment when completed. Here is the link to the assignment.
Make sure that when you open the map that you select open as Google Slides from the center menu.
G. Closure: TSW be able to answer the following question(s) in the next day’s class discussion: Explain the advantages of Rome’s Geography?
H. Assessment: Question and answer/Discussions/The guided practice