Note: TTW= The Teacher Will; TSW= The Students Will; GCR= Google Classroom
I. Standard(s): 6.44-Analyze the causes and consequences of the Persian Wars, including the role of Athens and its cooperation with Sparta to defend the Greek city-states.
A. Clear Target: I can explain the causes and consequences of the Persian wars.
B. Bell Ringer:
1. TSW be able to answer the question below based on the previous lesson’s clear target in order to provide Closure for the previous day’s lesson:
a. Previous Day’s Lesson’s Closure Question(s): What were some attributes of Sparta and Athens?
b. Review: After the class has answered the question to the best of their ability, TTW assess if there needs to be a review of the previous day’s lesson. If a review is needed, TTW have the students get out their notes and will review the material with them.
c. If no review is needed TTW have the students get ready for today’s lesson.
2. TSW write the questions from Section D. Presentation of New Material, number 3. a-? in their notebooks and leave space under each question to answer it. This will be graded by a quiz in a future lesson.
C. Set: TTW lead a discussion on the clear target and or bell ringer to ensure that the students understand it/them. TTW lead a discussion on the assignment from the day before to ensure understanding.
D. Presentation of New Material:
1. TSW complete their guided notes while listening to the lecture/reviewing the presentation. The link to the presentation is here: The Persian War presentation.
3. Lecture Questions:
E. Guided Practice: TTW show the students how to get to the day’s presentation of new material and independent practice; and explain what they are doing to complete the day’s lesson. TTW then choose a student at random to perform the same tasks.
F. Independent Practice (The assignments are due the next school day unless otherwise stated):
1. TSW complete their guided notes.
2. TSW complete the Persian Empire Fact Sheet and the Persian Empire Reading Project documents. Here is the link to the Persian Empire Documents and Questions.
G. Closure: TSW be able to answer the following question(s) in the next day’s class discussion: What did the effects of the Persian wars lead to in ancient Greece?
H. Assessment: Question and answer/Discussions/The guided practice