Note: TTW= The Teacher Will; TSW= The Students Will; GCR= Google Classroom
I. Standard(s): 6.43-Explain the characteristics of the major Greek citystates of Athens and Sparta, including: • Advantages of each geographic location • Approaches to education • Practice of slavery • Status of women • Styles of government
A. Clear Target: I can demonstrate a general understanding of the development of ancient Greece’s city-states Athens and Sparta. I can describe their: Government systems; geographical advantages; education approaches; treatment of women and slave practices.
B. Bell Ringer:
1. Question(s): What impact does the rule of law have on a society?
a. Review: After the class has answered the question to the best of their ability, TTW assess if there needs to be a review of the previous day’s lesson. If a review is needed, TTW have the students get out their notes and will review the material with them.
b. If no review is needed TTW have the students get ready for today’s lesson.
2. TSW write the questions from Section D. Presentation of New Material, number 3. a-? in their notebooks and leave space under each question to answer it. This will be graded by a quiz in a future lesson.
C. Set: TTW ask TS a riddle or two IOT get their minds ready for learning. This will also help get students students out of Trauma Brain.
D. Presentation of New Material:
1. TSW complete their notes from watching the video presentation. The link to the presentation is here: Athens and Sparta Presentation.
3. Lecture Questions: N/A
E. Guided Practice: TTW show the students how to get to the day’s presentation of new material and independent practice; and explain what they are doing to complete the day’s lesson. TTW then choose a student at random to perform the same tasks.
F. Independent Practice (The assignments are due the next school day unless otherwise stated):
1. TSW complete their notes from the video presentation.
2. TSW complete the quiz in section “H. Assessment” below.
G. Closure: TSW be able to answer the following question(s) in the next day’s class discussion: What are some characteristics of Athens and Sparta?
H. Assessment: Quiz