Note: TTW= The Teacher Will; TSW= The Students Will; GCR= Google Classroom
I. Standard(s): 6.40; 6.41, and 6.42 You only have to break down 6.41 and 6.42 in your notes packet.
6.40-Analyze how the geographical features of ancient Greece, including its mountainous terrain and
access to the Mediterranean Sea, contributed to its organization into city-states, role in maritime trade, and colonies in the Mediterranean
6.41-Examine the concept of the polis in Greek citystates, including the ideas of: citizenship, civic
participation, and the rule of law.
6.42-Explain the basic concepts of direct democracy and
A. Clear Target: I can demonstrate a general understanding of the development of ancient Greece’s city-states; their government systems; their governmental ideas like citizenship, participation, and rule of law; the development of Democracy, and the differences between Direct Democracy and a Republic form of Democracy.
B. Bell Ringer:
1. TSW be able to answer the question below based on the previous lesson’s clear target in order to provide Closure for the previous day’s lesson:
a. Previous Day’s Lesson’s Closure Question(s):What have you learned about the impacts of Ancient Greece’s geography on its civilization?
b. Review: After the class has answered the question to the best of their ability, TTW assess if there needs to be a review of the previous day’s lesson. If a review is needed, TTW have the students get out their notes and will review the material with them.
c. If no review is needed TTW have the students get ready for today’s lesson.
2. TSW write the questions from Section D. Presentation of New Material, number 3. a-? in their notebooks and leave space under each question to answer it. This will be graded by a quiz in a future lesson.
C. Set: TTW lead a discussion on the clear target and or bell ringer to ensure that the students understand it/them. TTW lead a discussion on the assignment from the day before to ensure understanding.
D. Presentation of New Material:
1. TSW complete their guided notes from the video presentation that is linked here: Ancient Greek Government
3. Lecture Questions: N/A
E. Guided Practice: TTW show the students how to get to the day’s presentation of new material and independent practice; and explain what they are doing to complete the day’s lesson. TTW then choose a student at random to perform the same tasks.
F. Independent Practice (The assignments are due the next school day unless otherwise stated):
1. TSW complete their guided notes from the video presentation.
2. TSW complete the quiz from section “H. Assessment” below.
G. Closure: TSW be able to answer the following question(s) in the next day’s class discussion: What impact does the rule of law have on a society?
H. Assessment: Quiz