Note: TTW= The Teacher Will; TSW= The Students Will; GCR= Google Classroom
I. Standard(s): 6.28
A. Clear Target: I can explain the origins and basic principles of Hinduism to include: Its origins in Aryan traditions; and sacred text (Vedas).
B. Bell Ringer:
1. Previous Day’s Clear Target: I can explain the rise and fall of the Indus River Valley Civilization to include its achievements.
a. Discussion: TTW lead a discussion over the previous day’s clear target and gauge the level of understanding.
b. Notes Corrections: During the discussion TSW use their notes and make corrections as needed.
2. Statement(s): The Indus River Valley was home to the first civilization in India. The civilization covered over 900 miles along the Ganges river. This civilization was started by the Harappans, who disappeared and are believed to have been invaded by, or merged with the Aryans circa 1750 B.C.
a. Directions: TSW analyze the statement(s) and determine if it/they are True or False. TSW write their answer on the Haastag and post it. TSW then write the statement in their notes. If the statement is false, they will correct the statement to make it true as they write it down. Next TSW write down everything that they can remember about the statement(s) into their notes. TSW share with their group for the final step and add to their lists the things that other students remembered that they did not, as long as the group agrees to add the item.
b. Review: After the class has completed the activity to the best of their ability, TTW assess if there needs to be a review of the previous day’s lesson. If a review is needed, TTW have the students get out their notes and will review the material with them. If no review is needed TTW have the students get ready for today’s lesson.
C. Set: Understanding that everyone has trauma, TTW start off the lesson with the “Riddle Me This” game. Here the teacher reads 4 riddles, one for each team in the class, and gives 10 behavior points to each group that gets a riddle correct. After this, if time allows, TTW have everyone stand up and move around to a song of the day for about 30 seconds.
D. Presentation of New Material: TSW open the Haastyle History Video over Hinduism. Make sure that as you are watching the video that you are taking your notes on what is underlined on the slides. Pause or rewind the video as often as you need to. The link is here. Here is the link to the notes packet in case another copy is needed. Unit 5, Lesson 7 Hinduism
1. Checks For Understanding (CFU): Closure Question(s); quiz; Independent Practice
2. Video in Video N/A
3. Simulation: N/A
E. Guided Practice: TTW show the students how to get to the day’s presentation of new material and independent practice; and explain what they are doing to complete the day’s lesson. TTW then choose a student at random to perform the same tasks.
F. Independent Practice (The assignments are due the next school day unless otherwise stated):
1. TSW make sure that they have watched the video and that they have taken notes in their notebooks on the underlined portions of the presentation in the video…and also where they are directed to take notes.
2. TSW go to EdPuzzle, and sign into their appropriate class for Social Studies. Then TSW complete the Ed Puzzle: Kids History, India Hinduism. Here are my class codes for Ed Puzzle:
G. Closure: TSW be able to answer the following question(s) in the next day’s class discussion: Explain Moksha
H. Assessment: Question and answer/Discussions/The guided practice