Note: TTW= The Teacher Will; TSW= The Students Will; GCR= Google Classroom
THIS IS A TWO PART LESSON, TWO DAY! PART ONE STOPS AFTER B. 2. PART TWO STARTS AT SECTION D. AND IS COMPLETED ON THE SECOND CLASS DAY OF THE LESSON.
I. Standard(s): 6.09: The concept of Monarchies and the World’s first empire in Mesopotamia
A. Clear Target: I can explain: Monarchies; the importance of Sargon, and who he was; and the importance of Hammurabi, and who he was.
B. Bell Ringer: DAY 1: What was the most important invention of the Sumerians and why?
Day 2: Why is government important to a civilization?
1. JOIN MY EDPUZZLE CLASS!!!!! Find your class period below and go to Classlink and select the EDPUZZLE App…that should take you to EDPUZZLE so that you can join my class…if it does not, go to edpuzzle.com to join with the code for your class period!
a. 3rd Period: nencibr
b. 4th Period: lebfefo
c. 5th Period: hatzitu
d. 6th Period: ibpanei
2. TSW get together in groups of 4 and discuss the inventions of the Sumerians. They are to list as many as they can, describe them, and explain their use and importance in/to society. Finally, TSW discuss which invention was the most important and why. The students should come to a unanimous decision on this and all write down their answer. IT is okay to disagree with your teammates, but remember to do so respectfully. For example: “I understand what you are saying, but I think…” Each student will write all of the above information in their notes on the bottom and back of the either their guided notes for lesson 3, Science and Technology, or their hand written notes for lesson 3.
3. Previous Day’s Clear Target: I can identify the scientific and technological advancements of the Sumerians, and explain the impact those advancements had on the Sumerian society.
4. Previous Day’s Lesson’s Closure Question: What was the most important invention of the Sumerians and why?
a. Review: After the class has answered the question to the best of their ability, TTW assess if there needs to be a review of the previous day’s lesson. If a review is needed, TTW have the students get out their notes and will review the material with them.
b. If no review is needed TTW have the students get ready for today’s lesson.
C. Set: TTW lead a discussion on the clear target and or bell ringer to ensure that the students understand it/them. TTW lead a discussion on the assignment from the day before to ensure understanding.
D. Presentation of New Material: Haastyle History Notes Video. Watch the Haastyle History Video and take notes on the presentation. The link to the Haastyle History Video is HERE.
1. Checks For Understanding (CFU): Answers to the teacher led discussions from below in Closure.
2. Video in Video N/A
3. Simulation: N/A
E. Guided Practice: TTW demonstrate for the students how to: Find and open the document; use the document; turn in the document when completed. TTW have a student share their screen and demonstrate all of the steps. TTW assist, and have the class assist the student demonstrator with answering the first question.
F. Independent Practice: TSW complete the assignment listed below.
1. Open the document and read it. Use the document with your notes to answer the questions on the assignment. Here is the document to read: Sargon and Hammurabi Reading
2. Open the assignment and answer the multiple choice questions over your notes and the reading. Here is the link to the questions.
G. Closure: TTW have different students answer the questions from the lesson in the next class day’s Zoom. The question is: What was the Hammurabi Code, and why was it important?
Assessment: Question and answer/Discussions/The guided practice/Closure discussion/Quiz if used/ Exit Ticket if used
H. Enrichment: TSW listen to a lecture and or discussion led by the teacher if applicable/complete a reading and work on their notebook packet. The link to the presentations to complete the notebook packets are here: Presentations